Saturday, August 11, 2012

Go Team(s) USA

Lots of finals yesterday and today to wind down the Games of the XXX Olympiad, several of them adding to the USA medal count, which always makes me happy.

Yesterday's highlight for me was the women's 4 x 100-m relay in which the U.S. sprinters (Tianna Madison, Bianca Knight, Allyson Felix, and Carmelita Jeter) won the gold going away and smashing the world record while they were at it, coming in 55 seconds under the previous world mark.

Jeneba Tarmoh and Lauryn Williams, who raced in the semifinals on Thursday, were replaced by Felix and Jeter, medalists in the sprints here, so that the fastest team would be out there and have a better shot at beating the Jamaicans.  I thought that was a bit unfair to Tarmoh and Williams, since they are the ones who got the team into the gold-medal race, but it turns out that they get gold medals too, although they don't get to participate in the medal ceremony.

Today I'll be in front of the tube for the gold-medal games in women's volleyball and basketball.  And then I'll probably be pretty much tired of it all.

Day 14 Quote of the Day (Zhang Xi of China, hearing later that Prince Harry had attended the bronze-medal beach volleyball match she and her teammate lost):  "If I knew that, I would have won the game."

No comments:

Post a Comment