Friday, August 17, 2012

Shades of '88

I've heard this summer's excessive heat and drought compared to 1988, which was the hottest summer I ever experienced, until this year. 

We were living in a townhouse then, which precluded the possibility of a garden, but I decided I could grow tomato plants in a box on the little front stoop.  Well, maybe I could have, had it not been so hot and dry all summer.  Despite trying to keep them well watered, they shrivelled up and died in no time.  I never tried that again.

This year we have four tomato plants in the flower bed under the bay window.  We kept them watered, so they have survived and are now beginning to yield their fruit.  Still, the heat seems to have stunted the growth of the tomatoes.  Here's yesterday's harvest:



Not worthy of the name beefsteak, which is what these plants are supposed to be.  The biggest one is about the size of a baseball, the littlest the size of a golf ball.

It has cooled off and rained a lot here lately.  We're having temps in the mid-70's for a few days. It did the same thing in 1988, which I remember distinctly because I bought a new car that year.  I was all excited about getting it because it had been 100 degrees all summer long and this was going to be the first car I ever owned that had air conditioning.  On the day in August I went to the dealer to pick the car up, it was 70 degrees.  I ran the air conditioner anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment