Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Gold, after all

In London yesterday Michael Phelps finally surpassed the 18 medals won by Russian gymnast Larissa Latynina ('56, '60, '64).  She was there to see it, and she was extremely gracious about it, even joking that it was about time a man did what a woman accomplished 48 years ago. 

I've become a soccer fan.  Well, at least as long as the American women are playing.  They won their group by winning all three of their matches and are on to the quarter finals.  I only got to see the first half of their game yesterday, but later I enjoyed seeing Great Britain beat Brazil.  I would enjoy seeing anybody beat Brazil.  And, of course, I would have to cheer for G.B. because they speak English.

After the wheels came off for the U.S. men's gymnastic team the night before, plus the flap over Jordyn Wieber not making the all-around final, I was a bit worried about the women.  I need not have been.  Team USA took the gold yesterday by the biggest winning margin since 1960.  Wieber came through for the team, and I really believe they couldn't have done it without her.  I hope she realizes that.

Day 4 Quote of the Day (Michael Phelps on his training regimen and personal expectations): "The decisions I've made over the past four years are the decisions I've made."

Okay.  Got it.

No comments:

Post a Comment