Wednesday, May 30, 2012

What, again?

I think I understand the motives for crimes -- crimes like robbery, burglary, fraud, assault, even murder.  It will somehow have something to do with love or money.  What I have never been able to wrap my brain around is vandalism.  Unless somebody has a grudge, I cannot think what benefit a vandal derives from damaging somebody else's property.

This morning it became perfectly clear to me that somebody has a grudge against our mailbox.  Instead of standing proud at the end of our driveway, it is laying face-down in the ditch next to the road.  I investigated the crime scene myself, and an examination of the splinter pattern of the wooden post indicates that it was pushed toward the street from behind, so it was not hit by a car.  Most likely, it was kids.  Just like the last two times.  No -- I take that back.  The first mailbox got taken out by a snowplow.

Our handyman will come fix it, but -- gee whiz.

1 comment:

  1. I can totally relate!! About a month ago, I pulled over in my car to get my mail. Only to find I had no mailbox. Or mailbox post! Gone. Broken at the base. Son found the whole mess down the road a bit.
    Put it back up, and it lasted right around 2 weeks. Mailbox knocked right off, mail scattered all over the ditch - but at least the post was still there.
    I'm seriously considering a PO Box. This is ridiculous!

    ReplyDelete