Saturday, May 5, 2012

English Time

In a British movie I saw last night, somebody said something about the time being "half eleven." I wasn't sure what that meant, because I do know that the exact equivalent in German, halb elf, means 10:30, half before eleven.  To the Brits, however, it apparently means 11:30, "half eleven" being short for "half past eleven." 

I've encountered other British vagaries regarding time.  While in London once long ago, I was talking to a woman on the telephone about an event I wanted to attend, and when I asked her about the starting time, she said, "Try to be here by quarter to eight."  Then she immediately added, "Oh, that would be seven forty-five in your language."  I've always wondered who told her Americans don't know what "quarter to eight" means.

On a completely unrelated note, there is a horse running in today's Kentucky Derby called El Padrino (Godfather), and since it is Cinco de Mayo, he might be a good bet.  Or not.  The odds are 30 to 1, but it would be a nice payday if he did win.

The race starts this afternoon about half six.

No comments:

Post a Comment