Monday, May 14, 2012

Save the Grape Nuts

I bought a box of Grape Nuts over the weekend and had some for breakfast yesterday and again this morning, something I hadn't done in years.  I love Grape Nuts, but evidently not a lot of people share my enthusiasm.  There is talk about the brand being in trouble, and I, for one, would be sad if it was removed from the market.

Grape Nuts Cereal was created by Charles W. Post around 1896 after he had been a patient at the Kellogg Sanitarium in Battle Creek, Michigan, where corn flakes were under development.  Although detractors like to point out that it contains neither grapes nor nuts, Mr. Post thought that the concoction had a fruity, grape-like scent while baking, and the hard crunch reminded him of nuts, hence the name.  As far as I can tell from superficial research, the FTC considers the name "fanciful" rather than "deceitful," so it has never been challenged.

As processed food goes, Grape Nuts is a miracle of simplicity.  There are only four ingredients:  whole grain wheat flour, malted barley flour, salt, and dried yeast.  Apparently the dry ingredients are wetted with water, baked, and then ground up into the familiar little kernels.

I don't care about saving whales, I just want there to be Grape Nuts in the cereal aisle when I want it.  I guess I'm pretty simple myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment