Monday, May 7, 2012

Could I be a vegetarian?

I just saw a picture on Facebook of my three-year-old great-nephew encountering a baby chick, and it brought back this awful experience I had over the weekend.  I watched a show on some cable channel -- it was kind of like "How It's Made," but it wasn't that one -- that was all about the process of raising chickens, commercially.

The beginning was all right.  There were a gazillion eggs, which were suction-cupped into an incubator, and after a while the baby chicks finally started poking out of the shells.  Once they dried off and were just as cute and fuzzy and cuddly as they could be, the teeny tiny little chickies were sent on a horrifying journey through the chicken factory, dragged along on conveyor belts, dropped down chutes and just generally bounced around on moving and separating machinery as if they were just little round wads of soft yellow lint.

I had to turn it off, I was so appalled.  Poor little baby critters.  I may never eat chicken again.

No comments:

Post a Comment