Thursday, May 24, 2012

A Piece of Cake

For some reason, I'm not a big fan of cake.  I have probably made fewer than a dozen cakes in my life, all of them from boxed mixes.  I was thinking about baking some sort of dessert today and it came over me strangely that I wanted cupcakes.

I was going to use a Jiffy yellow cake mix I thought was in the pantry, but it wasn't there, and I vaguely remember it being used for cupcakes a while back.  There was one cake mix on hand, but it would make 24 cupcakes, and I thought 12 was enough.  I toyed with the idea of running to the store, but I wasn't that serious about it.  Then it occurred to me that nearly everything I bake -- brownies and lemon bars and all my famous cookies -- are made from scratch.  So why couldn't I make a cake from scratch?

I found a recipe on foodnetwork.com for classic yellow cupcakes.  Sounded perfect, and I had every ingredient called for, even unsalted butter.  I filled a couple of the little papers too full, but otherwise, things went smoothly.  I made a buttercream frosting, also from scratch and also from foodnetwork.com.  I colored it blue just for fun.

I'm ready for Cupcake Wars.

No comments:

Post a Comment