Monday, January 30, 2012

What? Me speechless?

I'm in a slump.  I like to crank out a new posting on this here blog every day, but the last few days I just haven't had anything to say.

I actually almost came up with a topic yesterday while watching the Michigan State women's basketball game, not because they beat Penn State, but because of the star of the game, 5'8" senior guard Porsche Poole.  And not because she scored a career-high 32 points and had 6 rebounds, 6 assists and 3 steals.  No, it was because of her name.

Even though she pronounces it POR-shay, it still looks like the car.  And by the second half, instead of "Way to go, Porsche" I found myself saying "Way to go, Cadillac!" or "Nice shot, Honda!" whenever she scored.  I wondered if she had a brother named Plymouth, but then I decided that any brother of Porsche's would have to be called Jaguar, at least.

I thought it would be fun if she had a teammate named Volkswagen Smith -- then I thought, no, that should be Volkswagen Schmidt.  The rest of the team could be Fiat diBenidetto, Volvo Jorgenson, and, of course, the 7'5" center named Beatrix-Maria Wurstenburger, known to her teammates as BMW.

And then I got to feeling ashamed of myself.  That's not nice, making fun of the girl's name. 

So, I didn't write about that yesterday.

No comments:

Post a Comment