Thursday, January 26, 2012

Bee-Bo-Banana-Fanna

I just had a piece of the yummy banana bread I made the other day. It's Grandma Bozzo's recipe, which I got from her granddaughter. In Italian, the family name is pronounced Boat-so. Some of my friend's cousins pronounce it Bah-zo, but her side of the family says Bo-zo, just like Bozo the Clown.

The reason I'm mentioning this is (a) Grandma Bozzo's banana bread is so good you would happily pay to eat it and (b) it reminds me of a time her granddaughter and I were shopping in a gift boutique. She was on the other side of the little store when I saw something I thought she'd like, and I said, "Hey, Bozzo -- come look at this."

A clerk who had been hovering nearby got an I-am-absolutely-appalled look on her face and reproached me with, "That's a terrible thing to call your friend!"

I retorted, "Well, first of all, it's none of your business, and second -- that's her name."

Bozo.

No comments:

Post a Comment