Monday, January 16, 2012

Timid is as timid does

I once worked with a young woman who was the shyest person I ever met.  This was back in the mid-60's when I was in my early twenties, and so was she.  She was tall and slim, dark and rather pretty, but she was painfully shy.  She spoke to no one unless spoken to first.  When she did talk, she was so quiet you could hardly hear her, and she never made eye contact.

One day she came up to my desk and just stood there looking at the top of it.  I asked her if I could help her, and after a great deal of hesitation and stammering, she finally managed to convey to me that she was wondering if the two of us could go out to lunch some time.  I said that would be delightful, and we made a date for the very next day.

When the time came and we were walking out into the parking lot, I asked whose car we should take, and she pointed hers out, which was nearby.  I don't remember the make or model of her car at all, but it was a large sedan that was probably four or five years old.  I opened the passenger door and noticed that the interior door panel was missing.  When I got in, I saw that all the door panels were missing and that the car had no dashboard.  It also had no back seat.

"What happened to your car?" I asked in alarm.

"I took everything out to make it lighter," she said.  "I race it at US-30 Drag Strip on weekends."

Not quite as shy as I thought, I guess.

No comments:

Post a Comment