Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Who knew?

I spent a good part of my youth and childhood proclaiming to hate lasagna. Seriously? Pasta, ground meat, cheese, tomato sauce -- what's not to like?

But this stemmed from my first experience with the dish when I was about twelve years old. My Aunt Mae had served it -- well, she served something she called lasagna -- and it was dreadful.  I cannot now even imagine what she did to it, but because she was a good cook, I just assumed that's what lasagna was, and I avoided it steadfastly thereafter.

About twenty years later, I was served lasagna again as a guest at someone's house, and I believed it was incumbent upon me to take a deep breath and try to choke some of it down.  And, of course, it was delicious. I wish I knew where Aunt Mae had gone wrong.

You would think that taught me a lesson and I now try everything twice.  No.  I've only had beef brains once, and I won't be doing that again.  Actually, Aunt Mae made that too.  Hmm.

No comments:

Post a Comment