Tuesday, December 10, 2013

It's the truth

I recently heard someone say that I was the most honest person they knew. Well, that's nice, and it might be true, but it's not because of some overpowering sense of honor or principle. It's just that I have a hard time not saying exactly what I think, which can be torture for me sometimes. Like when somebody walks into a room wearing something perfectly hideous and says, "How do I look?"

But honesty can be fun too. Long ago I worked for a head hunter in what was called a one-girl office, just me and the boss. For some reason, it took two or three phone calls to make an appointment for one guy, and he flirted with me every time we talked on the phone. He kept asking me to go out with him after his appointment with my boss, which I wanted no part of.

At one point he asked me what I looked like. "You sound tall," he said. "Are you tall?" I replied, "No, as a matter of fact, I'm short and fat and wear real thick glasses."  He laughed hysterically and told me I was adorable.

When he walked into the office on the appointed day and saw that I was exactly as I had described myself, it was my turn to laugh at the look on his face, the pompous ass.

No comments:

Post a Comment