Saturday, December 14, 2013

Recipe to follow....

Like I said, my Aunt Mae was a very good cook, and a good story teller too. There is one story of hers I have always enjoyed retelling.

She and Uncle Bob were entertaining another couple for dinner. I don't know what Aunt Mae served exactly, but it involved roasted meat and potatoes and gravy. The man absolutely raved about the gravy all through the meal, and after dinner when the men were sitting around and the women were cleaning up the kitchen, the wife said to my aunt, "You have to tell me how you made that gravy. My husband hates my gravy.  He says it tastes like flour and water."

Aunt Mae didn't think there was anything special about it, but, willing to help, she asked the woman to describe how she went about making gravy.

"Well, I melt a little butter, and then stir in flour and water, and salt and pepper..."

"Wait a minute," Aunt Mae said to her.  "What about the drippings from the meat?"

"Oh," the woman replied dismissively, "I throw that away!"

Aunt Mae, bless her heart, just smiled sweetly at her and said, "Well, I think we might just have figured it out."

No comments:

Post a Comment