Sunday, December 8, 2013

Roses are Green and White, Ohio State is Blue

Sometime in the late 1980's I saw a really cool shirt on the clearance rack at T. J. Maxx. It was heavy cotton, maroon in color, and had three-quarter raglan sleeves. There were also three letters, USC, in yellow on the front, but I didn't care. It was a really cool shirt, and it was only $3.

I loved that shirt and wore it a lot.  In fact, I was wearing it a week or so before Christmas in 1987 while doing my holiday shopping at a local mall here in Mid-Michigan. I had my coat open, of course, since it was warm in there, and even though I was doing absolutely nothing out of the ordinary to call attention to myself, I noticed that people I passed were giving me the hairy eyeball. Some looked downright hostile, and I was starting to get rather paranoid.

An idea struck me on the way home, and when I got there, I said to my partner, "Who is Michigan State playing in the Rose Bowl?"

"I think Southern Cal," replied she.

Oops.

Michigan State won that game 20 to 17. In a little over three weeks from now, they will go back to the Rose Bowl for the first time since, having soundly beaten Ohio State last night in the Big Ten Championship game. I am in the market for a Stanford shirt to wear to the mall. After all, as they say in the beer commercials, it's not weird unless it doesn't work.

Go State.

No comments:

Post a Comment