Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Thinking might help

I have complained before about people publishing genealogical information that has glaring errors in it, like the guy who was supposed to have been born 70 years after his mother died.

It's a temptation, I know.  You find information about people with the same last name, living in the same place at about the same time, and you want to believe they are related.  I understand that.  What I don't understand is complete stupidity that admits no common sense at all.

Yesterday I saw information somebody had put out there about a woman that included her actual date of death in Indiana in 1858 as well as a listing for her in the 1860 Federal Census in South Carolina.  That's not only ridiculous, it also makes you wonder if you can trust any of their information.

What I ran across this morning takes the cake, though.  I found some stuff online about the ancestors of an ancestor of mine, one Alice Carew, born about 1455 in Gloucestershire, England.  There were several generations listed, and since it was all new to me (I don't even have her parents' names), I was pretty excited about it.

I started to copy it all down, but I gave up when I got to the part about one of Alice's great-great-grandfathers who was born about 1325, died about 1381, and got married on 23 July 1948 in Ogden, Utah.

Hel-lo-oh...?  Anybody home?



No comments:

Post a Comment