Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Time for Breakfast

I love breakfast.  I can eat breakfast foods any time of the day or night, I love them so much, but there are some times when the first meal of the day is really special.  Breakfast on the road is one of those, especially at a cafe in a small town.  When there's company from out of town, making a nice big breakfast for everyone is always good.  Or just a cozy Sunday morning at home. 

Long about 20 years ago my partner and I got some good news at an early-morning medical appointment and decided we'd celebrate by going out for breakfast.  I'll never forget the doctor agreeing that was a good idea and then adding, "You could get a bran muffin and some fruit."

A bran muffin and some fruit?  Are you kidding me?  That's not breakfast.  Bacon and eggs is breakfast.  So is ham and eggs, sausage and eggs, country fried steak and eggs, which can be scrambled with or without cheese, fried in butter or in bacon fat, soft boiled, poached, or made into an omelet; also pancakes with or without blueberries, French toast, and waffles (Belgian or otherwise); not to mention breakfast casserole, breakfast pizza, breakfast sandwich, and quiche; plus English muffins dripping in butter, toasted bagels with cream cheese, hot buttered toast with blackberry jam, lemon-poppy seed muffins, buttery biscuits with honey, hash brown potatoes, American fried potatoes, potato pancakes; and, of course, biscuits and gravy.  Add coffee if you do, orange juice if you like, Mimosas if you're lucky, and -- oh, all right -- a slice of melon.

Excuse me.  I have to go make myself something to eat now.

No comments:

Post a Comment