Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Killed with kindness, not kilowatts

This morning I had to call Consumers Energy (gas and electric utility) about the bill I just got.  Two months ago it was only $50, which is wonderful and which I attributed to our weird warm spring with furnace and air conditioner off and windows open.  Last month the bill was only $29.  Wow.  The one I got today was for $27.  Uh-oh.  It has been between 90° and 100° for over a month.  This bill should be about ten times that much.

I had to wade through four menus but finally got to talk to Jeremiah who discovered that we were charged for 1 kilowatt hour of electricity last month and 0 for this month.  He said the meter was probably broken, so he transferred me to Jackie who agreed with him and said she'd send someone out today.  I understand Consumers doesn't want to give me free electricity, but I was still amazed when Ryan showed up in his white truck within half an hour.  He confirmed that the meter was broken.  That little wheel that goes around wasn't moving.

Wouldn't the guy who reads the meter notice that?

Anyway, Ryan waited while I shut down my computer, since he had to cut the power briefly, but the whole thing was done in less than five minutes.  Ryan was very nice and polite.

And so were Jeremiah and Jackie.  In fact, they were so nice and friendly and polite and upbeat and helpful that I remarked upon it to both of them.

Isn't it a shame that good customer service is so unusual that you notice it?

No comments:

Post a Comment