Thursday, July 5, 2012

Outgrew it, I guess

When I am indulging myself in one of my favorite cocktails, I sometimes have a tremendous desire to have more than one.  I rarely do, however, partly because I adhere to the notion that alcohol intake should be limited to one drink a day (for women; men get to have two, which is distinctly unfair).  But, no matter how good it tastes and how tempted I am, I stick with the one-drink rule because I know that two drinks can lead to more, and that can lead to inebriation.  It's not being drunk I mind, it's being hung over.  I believe that not having that second drink, for fear of feeling lousy the next day, is a very grown-up thing to do.

I remember one time when I was a lot less mature, at least as far as this discussion goes, when I was in graduate school.  At the time I was giving guitar lessons at the local music store on Saturday mornings.  Too many beers on Friday night -- well, it makes me think of those Direct TV commercials.

When you drink too much on Friday night, you are hung over on Saturday morning.

When you are hung over on Saturday morning, it's hard to give guitar lessons with your tongue stuck to the roof of your mouth.

When your tongue is stuck to the roof of your mouth, you sneak over between lessons to the tavern next door to buy a Coke.

When you sneak over between lessons to the tavern next door to buy a Coke, you encounter men at the bar who are already drunk at ten o'clock in the morning.

When you encounter men at the bar who are already drunk at ten o'clock in the morning, you are leered at and called "Girlie."

Don't be leered at and called "Girlie."  Get rid of cable.

Or grow up.

No comments:

Post a Comment