Sunday, July 29, 2012

Oh, Lympics

The Games of the XXX Olympiad are finally underway.  I've been looking forward to it for months, and I am sure I will not be able to keep myself from commenting upon the spectacle as it unfolds.

I've already seen seven or eight soccer matches.  I don't usually watch soccer, but if it's the Olympics, I even watch boxing and field hockey and beach volleyball, especially if Americans are involved.  Cheering on the home-town team is part of the appeal.  I've noticed that if there are no Americans involved in an event, I tend to root for competitors who speak English -- Canadians, Brits, Aussies, etc.

I was disappointed in the opening ceremony this year.  Not only was it boring, it was way too hokey.  Once the athletes marched in and they got on with the flag and torch and fireworks, it picked up some.  When one of the bright spots is guffawing at the ridiculous outfits worn by the team from the Czech Republic, there is obviously not enough to entertain me. 

It might be interesting to ask the people of Great Britain, Germany, and South Korea how they feel about BP, BMW, and Samsung being official sponsors of the U. S. Olympic team.

Today the women's gymnastics competition begins, and everybody in DeWitt, Michigan, including me, will be in front of their televisions to see Jordyn Wieber.

Day 1 Quote of the Day (Beach volleyball commentator about Australia's Natalie Cook):  "She has savvy coming out her ears."

Seriously?

No comments:

Post a Comment