Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Time's up!

People talk about having an internal clock that they can call upon to wake them up without an alarm. I don't know if I have one of those, but I do seem to have an internal timer.

I have this odd capacity for knowing when a certain amount of time has passed, which comes in handy when cooking.  I will put something in the oven, set the timer for x-number of minutes, and then go do something else.  After a while, I'll think it's about time for the thing to be done, and when I go look, almost every time the timer will show there is less than a minute to go, sometimes only a few seconds.

That came in handy yesterday.  I put a pan of brownies in the oven and set the timer for 25 minutes so I could check them, knowing I'd probably leave them five minutes longer.  Then I came into my office and got all absorbed in writing my blog posting.  After a time, I suddenly thought that the brownies should be done, and wondered if the timer had gone off but I hadn't heard it.  I hurried to the kitchen to check.

Sure enough, I had pulled another one of my tricks -- I set the timer but didn't start it.  The brownies looked just fine, and the toothpick I stuck in the middle came out clean.  Later taste-testing proved they were perfectly baked.

It's uncanny, this internal timer of mine.  But it saved the day, and the brownies.  (And yes, they were from scratch.)

No comments:

Post a Comment