Monday, February 20, 2012

Baking Day

The brownies are gone, so it was time for me to bake something today.  I decided on my soon-to-be-famous hazelnut shortbread cookies, which I more or less invented when I found myself with a whole bunch of ground hazelnuts left over from a coffee cake recipe I had tried and didn't like.  It's basically the same as my traditional rohlíčky, but substituting the ground hazelnuts for chopped almonds and making little round cookies instead of crescents.

Although I say it myself, they are very, very good.  I can even tell you how good.  Last year I donated some of these cookies for an employee bake sale at the place I used to work and my partner still does.  I put four cookies each into ten snack bags and labelled them with the ingredients and an asking price of $2.00 a bag.

I was told that during the sale some dude approached looking for something to have with his morning coffee.  He was interested in the shortbreads but complained that the price seemed kind of high for four little cookies.  The persons running the sale suggested to him very politely that since it was for charity, he should just suck it up.  Finally he forked over the two bucks and went away.  Five minutes later, however, he came back and bought all of the remaining bags of the hazelnut shortbread cookies.

That's how good they are.

No comments:

Post a Comment