Saturday, February 4, 2012

Tallahassee Lassie in My Dreams

I had a dream last night that I was watching an old silent movie that featured a blonde woman on a stage dancing, and somehow I knew the woman's name was Tallahassee.  I woke up then but couldn't go back to sleep, intrigued by the idea of people having the same names as capital cities.

Now I actually know a fella named Trenton, and there are plenty of Pierres out there, but then I came up with Montgomery Clift, Olympia Dukakis, Helena Bonham-Carter, Augusta Leigh, Denver Pyle, and Jackson Pollock.  I also thought of Charleston Heston and Indianapolis Jones, which I admit probably shouldn't count, but it was 4:30 in the morning, after all.

Madison for a girl's name is trendy right now, but that may have started a dangerous trend.  Just imagine naming a tiny new-born Sacramento or Topeka or Little Rock.  Can you hear the kids at recess on the first day of school?

"Hi, my name is Salt Lake City.  What's yours?"

"I'm Baton Rouge, but everybody calls me Stick."

Cripes.

No comments:

Post a Comment