Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Tony's Cat

I used to know a guy named Tony.  An actor, was Tony, when he could get parts in local theater; a community arts coordinator the rest of the time.

Tony had a gorgeous cat, a big, long-haired Persian or Angora or similar breed, with very long, luxurious white fur, smallish ears, and blue eyes.  Like many white-haired, blue-eyed cats, it was deaf.  The first time I saw this cat, I was stunned at how regal and elegant it looked.  I asked what its name was, and Tony told me the cat was called Larry.

I said that was a horrible name for such a spectacular cat.  Tony said he hadn't named the cat, the people he got the cat from had.  I suggested he change its name to something mysterious and Oriental, but Tony said no, he was sure it was too late -- the cat was used to its name.

To which I replied, "He's DEAF!!  He's never heard his name."

Tony remained unconvinced.  Larry didn't seem to notice we were talking about him.

No comments:

Post a Comment