Tuesday, November 1, 2011

That's just wrong, and on my birthday too

Just as I predicted, today is my birthday.  I was born on Friday, November 1, 1946, at West Suburban Hospital in Oak Park, Illinois.  I arrived at 11:45 a.m., just in time for lunch.

The hospital bill, which has been kept all these years in The Box (see October 20 posting), lists all charges for the delivery as well as care for mother and baby for six and a half days, and it shows the total amount due of $88.30.

Have healthcare costs gone completely insane?  Yes.  There is something real wrong here.   Okay, it was 65 years ago, so to put it in perspective, I ran it through an inflation calculator available online from the Bureau of Labor Statistics.  That hospital stay would cost $1,027 today.

Is there today a hospital where you can have a baby for which the bill will be just over a thousand dollars?  I don't think so.  Besides that, where can you even find a hospital that will let mother and baby stay a week?

It makes that 88 bucks seem like quite a bargain.  I'd like to think I was worth every cent.


1 comment:

  1. Handwritten too??? Holy cow...what a great thing to have in your possession. And yes, you're worth every penny!! Happy Birthday to youuuuuuuu!!

    ReplyDelete