Friday, November 11, 2011

11-11-11

Nobody could expect me to let today's date go by without comment.  I have been noticing and pointing out to others such funky dates ever since 5-5-55.

But today's date has a unique double-digit-ness that makes it way cooler than 10-10-10 was or 12-12-12 is going to be.

It is not only in dates that I've always appreciated ones and/or elevens.  For many years -- probably ever since I owned my first digital clock -- whenever I notice the time is 11:11, I always say out loud, "One one one one."  I'm not sure why I do that.  Possibly I just like ones.  Maybe because I was born on 11-1.  Or maybe because I myself am so singular.

So, this morning -- at eleven minutes after eleven o'clock, I should say, "One one one one one one one one one one."  I don't think I will, actually, but I will try to mark the time by pausing at that hour to remember all who have served our country in war and in peace, especially all those men and women who are still in harm's way today and whom I would like to see come home in one piece very soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment