Monday, November 14, 2011

Da Bears and Binny's

Bears games are not on television in mid-Michigan very often, unless it's a Sunday- or Monday-night telecast or they are playing Detroit.  Yesterday they did play the Lions in Chicago, so I got to see that one.  It was a good game, which da Bears won handily (37-13) and in which Devin Hester set an all-time NFL record for the most punts returned for touchdowns (12). 

My mother had a good friend named Ruth who was a big Bears fan.  Football teams can black out telecasts of home games in the local market if they aren't sold out, and back in the 1960's and 70's that happened quite a bit to the Bears.  But that didn't stop Ruth.  On those Sundays, she and her husband and mother and brother Hank and his wife would all pile into the car and drive northwest toward Rockford to a motel that was the required 75 miles from Chicago.  They rented a room for the afternoon and watched the game on the TV there.

When I can't see the Bears on television, I listen to the games on WBBM radio from Chicago, which I can stream on my computer.  It's not the same, of course, but at least I know what's going on when it's going on. 

A fringe benefit of the radio show from Chicago is the homey little ads they read.  My favorite is the one for a liquor store called Binny's Beverage Depot, which always ends with, "If you can't find it at Binny's Beverage Depot, it's probably not worth drinkin'."

A-men, brother.

No comments:

Post a Comment