Friday, April 29, 2011

The Royal Wedding

Yes, I got up before 5:00 this morning and tuned in to the hoopla from London where a prince (who just happens to be my 22nd cousin twice removed) married an uncommon commoner who will do wonders for the British monarchy.

The new Duchess of Cambridge had the whole thing and herself completely under control.  I remember Diana looking like she was being led to slaughter, whereas Kate -- except for sounding a little shy while repeating the vows -- appeared to be having a wonderful time.  There was one moment that could have overwhelmed, when the newlyweds came out onto the balcony of Buckingham Palace for the traditional wave and kiss.  When she got a load of the crowd (probably a million people) waiting for them, a flash of astonishment crossed her face, and, if my lip reading hasn't failed me, she said "Oh my god," then immediately gathered herself together and broke into a genuinely delighted smile.

The Queen, still my favorite royal, looked wonderful in yellow, and she stood looking -- well, if not exactly humble, at least solemn and somewhat grateful -- during the singing of "God Save the Queen."  She, of course, does not sing it, but today, with all those cameras all over Westminster Abbey, you can bet everybody else did.

1 comment:

  1. I was up at 4am too, enjoying my cousin's wedding... to which I wasn't invited :(

    ReplyDelete