Monday, April 11, 2011

There should be a complex associated with this

Family Tree Maker is pretty much the standard genealogical software most people use.  I'm using FTM 2005.  It might be time to think about another upgrade, but it works fine for now.

It has many interesting features -- you can navigate through the people in charts or family group sheets, and there's room to tell stories and add pictures.  It will also produce all manner of charts and reports.  One of them is called a kinship report.  You click on one person you've entered into your program, and it will show you everybody who is related to that person as well as what the relationship is.

I just ran the report for myself, and the results are extremely disturbing.  Because my 4th-great-grandparents, Andrew S. King (1783-1856) and Hannah Gattis (1786-1853), were first cousins, that means that my mother is also my 6th cousin removed once.  As if that were not enough, the report shows that I am also my own 7th cousin.

That's creepy.

No comments:

Post a Comment