Thursday, April 21, 2011

Okay, Okay Already

Loyal readers have complained that I spoke of poems I wrote and then offered none.  I probably never will, at least not anything serious, but since tomorrow (April 22) is the guy's birthday (and it's not every day you turn seven), following is an example of the doggerel I tend to write on special occasions.


My Great Nephew, Macguire Jacob Mersberger
by Jan Knez

The given name of this fine young lad
Is as good as one could desire,
Part of it being the name of his dad,
And the other part being Macguire.

Future sweethearts may call him Jakie,
Cutely taking his names in reverse.
He will, of course, find that quite flaky,
But he’ll like that his chums call him Mers.

M. J., Mc-Gee, Higher Flyer Macguire--
Of nicknames there may be no lack,
But no matter what name he tries to require,
To me he will always be Mac.

© 2004 Jan Knez

No comments:

Post a Comment