Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Where they're stored might make a difference

An announcement on our local NPR station says something like, "First a book, then a movie, now a play."  It seems that Michigan State's theater department is presenting the play version of Steinbeck's The Grapes of Wrath.  The play is called The Grapes of Wrath and the movie is "The Grapes of Wrath."  I don't know why movies get quotes and books and plays get italics.

But it reminds me of a story a friend told me about the time she rented the movie.  She had gone to the video rental store to get something to entertain her three kids for a Saturday evening.  I don't remember what film it was now, but she also rented the John Ford classic for herself.

After her three children had watched the kid movie, she told them she was going to watch "The Grapes of Wrath" and they were welcome to watch it too.  Only her ten-year-old son took her up on it.  She was impressed that he was interested.

About twenty minutes into the movie, however, he got up and started to leave the room.  "Where are you going?" she asked.

"To my room."

"I thought you wanted to watch this movie."

"It's not what I thought it was going to be," he said.

"What were you expecting?"

"I thought it would be like 'The Attack of the Killer Tomatoes.'"

No comments:

Post a Comment