Friday, October 22, 2010

Oh, yeah, you think so?

I have noticed that in e-mails and letters and even in this very blog, I have a tendency to begin paragraphs with the singular personal pronoun.

I am doing it on purpose now, of course, to illustrate my point.

I occasionally go back and change the sentence structure in order to avoid this problem, or I will sometimes simply add some throw-away word such as "Well" or "So" or "Anyhow" to the front of the sentence.

I am convinced that if I notice it, the reader must also notice it, and I am so afraid that it will lead people to conclude that I am a screaming egomaniac.

I am not a screaming egomaniac. I never scream.

I am willing to bet one hundred billion dollars that upon reading this, the inimitable Judy Brown is softly singing to herself, "You're so vain, you prob'ly think this blog is about you..."

Well, you know what? It is.

No comments:

Post a Comment