Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Just suppose ...

Some friends and I recently maligned the ignoramuses who say supposably when they mean supposedly.

I think I’ve secretly harbored the notion that there is no such word as supposably. I may have been encouraged in this belief by spell checkers, including the one this blog uses. However, I got to thinking that a back-formation would take me from supposably to supposable, and that is a word.

I, therefore, consulted a real book dictionary (Webster’s New Collegiate), and it confirmed my suspicions. Supposably is a word. As I presumed, it is the adverbial form of supposable, which is the adjectival form of suppose. Something is supposable if it is capable of being supposed.

The verb suppose generally takes an object; the adjective generally modifies a noun; and the adverb -- ah, that's the tricky one. It modifies anything except a noun, but usually a verb.

So --

I suppose (v.) he is dead.

His being dead is supposable (adj.).

I supposably (adv.) offer (v.) that he is dead.

OK -- it's a word, but it does not mean the same thing as nor can it be used interchangeably with supposedly.

And it is making my head hurt.

No comments:

Post a Comment