Tuesday, January 28, 2014

You just never know

Many years ago while I was visiting my brother and family in Minnesota, my five-year-old niece was starting to go stir crazy because it had been raining for two or three days straight. My sister-in-law handed me a Sesame Street things-do-when-it's-raining book and asked me to please find something in it that would amuse the child. My niece immediately opened the book to the Cookie Monster's baking project.

I tried to talk her out of it -- I was sure it would be a complete waste of good butter, sugar and flour -- but she was adamant, so we made the cookies. And they were the best sugar cookies I ever had.

For anyone interested, here's the recipe:

3/4 cup margarine
1 cup sugar
2  eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
2-1/2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
  
Cream margarine and sugar together.  Add eggs and vanilla and blend well.  Gradually add dry ingredients.  Chill dough at least 1 hour.

Roll to 1/4" thickness and cut out. Place on ungreased cookies sheet.

Bake at 400° for 6 to 8 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment