Tuesday, December 11, 2012

True Story

Since I was early for my appointment with the eye doctor this morning, I decided to take another crack at sending a text message from my cell phone, my third one in a week.

It took me a while to remember how to send a message and then another while to figure out how to send it to my intended recipient.  Once I got that straightened out, I composed a bare-bones message ("Coming today at 4.30?"), resisting the use of those irritating word-letters (as in, "r u coming today").  

It went slowly.  I had to use my right index finger to punch most of the keys because the injury to my thumb prevents me from honing my thumb-typing skills.  I finally gave up looking for the colon, if there is one, on the tiny keypad and put a period in 4.30.

Finally I finished it and sent it off, successfully.  I was so proud.  But I was beginning to worry that the other people in the waiting room would think I was one of those nerdy techno-dorks who spend every moment texting and tweeting and playing with phone apps, so I put the phone back into my pocket.

When I looked up, I saw that all four of the other people sitting there in the waiting room were intently focused on the cell phones in their hands, diligently thumbing the buttons and keys.

No comments:

Post a Comment