Friday, December 7, 2012

O Little Town of Banana Bread

Wednesday there were three over-ripe bananas on the kitchen counter begging to be put to some purpose, so I obliged them. What with our traditional annual holiday cookie-baking weekend approaching, I thought that an entire loaf of banana nut bread might end up neglected, so I baked four mini-loaves instead, freezing three for future consumption, or maybe even to be given as part of the baked-goods gift giving.

Well, I'm here to tell you that one mini-loaf of banana nut bread does not go very far. There will soon be only two in the freezer.

While I was composing the foregoing, I heard on the radio what was described as a traditional French Christmas carol entitled "Ding Dong Merrily On High."  That sounds like three Christmas songs thrown together, doesn't it?  Sort of like "I'm Dreaming of a White Chestnut Roasting on a Jingle Bell Rock."

Not only is it not a particularly engaging song, it turns out that only the tune is French, a 16th-century secular ditty.  The words are by some English dude, and I admit that they do make more sense if you hear the entire first phrase:

Ding dong! merrily on high
In heav'n the bells are ringing.

Still, I don't think Frosty or Rudolph need to feel threatened.

No comments:

Post a Comment