Thursday, September 27, 2012

Sushi Schmushi

My partner and I get together with a couple friends for dinner out about once a month, taking turns choosing the restaurant.  Last night we dined at a Japanese hibachi and sushi place.  You can bet I didn't chose it ("What? Raw fish?  Are you kidding me?").  It could have been problematic for a number of reasons.

First, I have been accused all my life of being a picky eater, which I have always considered extremely unfair since I love some things that lots of other people won't eat, like liver, and lima beans, and potted meat.  Second, I have never had a reputation for either flexibility or adventurousness in anything, much less foreign cuisine.  And third -- well, when it was my turn to choose the restaurant last month, I picked A&W.  In short, nobody who knows me would expect anything less than my being dragged into the joint kicking and screaming.

Nevertheless, I pulled up my big girl pants and promised myself I wouldn't be a party pooper.  I don't suppose the two scotch-and-sodas I had at the bar while waiting for the rest of our party to arrive hurt anything either.

So here is my review:  the miso soup was very good, the raspberry vinaigrette on the salad was too, the hibachi chef was very clever and funny, and the shrimp he made me were excellent.  Altogether it was a very fun experience.

Oh, and as for the dreaded raw fish -- well, of course, I had some.  I tried three different sushi rolls, then had seconds on my favorite one, which was crab salad, avocado, and fresh salmon with honey wasabi sauce. 

Who are you callin' picky?

No comments:

Post a Comment