Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Nine Eleven

In September 2001 my partner and I took a trip to Las Vegas (our first) for our 15th anniversary.  We stayed downtown at the Golden Nugget, arriving on Sunday, September 9, and planning to leave on Thursday, the 13th.  We didn't get home until Tuesday morning, the 18th, because of what happened on the previous Tuesday.

I got up early that morning, around 6:45 local time, which was 9:45 in the east.  My partner was still zonked out after a late night of gambling, so for something to do I turned on the television but kept the sound really low.  What I saw was really amazing. 

Now, I am extremely non-violent.  I dislike movies and shows with graphic and/or excessive violence, but for some odd reason I really love seeing things blow up -- cars, bridges, buildings, boats, whatever.  I don't know why.

And right there on the television screen I saw an airplane fly into a skyscraper and blow up.  Whoa! I thought, how cool is that!  Then I realized I was watching CNN, but I assumed it was an entertainment segment showing a clip from a movie.  They showed it again, however, which prompted me to turn up the volume so I could hear what they were saying.  And be horrified.

No comments:

Post a Comment