Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Name, please...

I love names, and stories about names, and telling those stories, and something reminded me of one of these stories today, and that reminded me of the other one. (Maybe it's not important to know how my mind works, as long as it works at all.)

When I was a student, I worked temp jobs sometimes for extra money, and one summer I had been working at a place doing data entry (BORING) for about five weeks. I got the chance to take a trip to Canada, which I jumped at, even though the assignment wasn't over. I told the man I reported to and also the agency so they could arrange another temp for him.

When he was signing my last time card, the man was nice enough to say that although the agency had assured him my replacement would be competent, he was sure she wouldn't be as good at it as I was. I said "Oh, I'm sure she'll be stellar." He frowned and said, "No, it won't be her. They already told me her name is Nancy."

And then there was this fella I knew named Vince McInerney. He was at the driving range hitting golf balls when some emergency occurred at home. His wife called there and said, "Could you please page Vince McInerney to come to the phone?" Over the loud speaker, he heard, "Will Vince, Mack, and Ernie please come to the pro shop immediately."

That could be the true meaning of "one for all and all for one."

No comments:

Post a Comment