Friday, June 8, 2012

Listen Here

I listen to NPR's "Morning Edition" almost every weekday, and I am used to hearing the hosts welcome to the program persons they are about to interview. In fact, they often actually say, "Welcome to the program." They also frequently thank the person for coming. In both cases, guests frequently reply, "Thanks for having me."

Yesterday morning, Steve Inskeep began an interview with, "It's nice to see you," to which the interviewee responded, "Thanks for having me." I noticed it because I didn't think that response was exactly appropriate.  Then this morning, Renee Montagne began an interview by saying, "Good morning," to the guest. He replied, "Thanks for having me."

Well, okay.

Maybe people who are going to be interviewed on NPR think ahead about what to say when the host greets them, especially obscure scientists, mayors of tiny towns, winners of off-beat contests, or other unknown individuals for whom the possibility of being heard on national radio ever again is extremely remote. Apparently at least two such persons decided to respond to any greeting that included "welcome" or an expression of thanks with, "Thanks for having me."

So -- were they so nervous that they couldn't change what they had rehearsed, or were they just not listening to what was said to them?

It reminds me of a boss I used to have. I'd say, "Good morning, Frank," and he'd say, "Fine. How are you?"  Too bad he was never interviewed on NPR.

No comments:

Post a Comment