Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Post-Holiday Post

I have neglected the blog the last few days, but I've been pretty busy the last week what with Christmas and its attending requirements and distractions, which included company from out of town.  As I look back over the weekend, I feel like all I did was cook, and I must say that some of my culinary efforts were rather disappointing.

From watching too much of Anne Burrell's cooking show, I over-salted the water in which I boiled the potatoes, and the resulting potato salad was so salty as to be basically inedible.  One of our guests liked it a lot, however, so I sent all the rest of it home with him.

I decided to try Paula Deen's crock-pot macaroni and cheese.  Our crock-pot must be hotter than hers because after 60 minutes on low (one-third of the required time) it was about to burn.  And the eggs Paula said no southern mac and cheese dish was complete without actually curdled.  It tasted all right, but it looked mighty ugly.

I did have one gastronomic triumph by way of a tomato-cucumber salad that I more or less made up, and I was told the cherry pie was very good, even though I had to use frozen instead of fresh cherries.

It was my partner who had made the original request for potato salad and, therefore, felt cheated out of being able to eat on the left-overs, so yesterday I made another batch of potato salad just for her, which we had with our supper last night.  It should come as no surprise to anybody that it needs more salt.

1 comment:

  1. Great to see you back, JanK!! Despite the culinary challenges, I hope you and Judy had a wonderful holiday.

    ReplyDelete