Wednesday, December 21, 2011

An Overnight Guest

The garage door got left open yesterday.  I suddenly remembered it about 10:15 last night and went to shut it.  As soon as I hit the button and the door began to move, something came flying out of the far corner of the garage.  Scared the livin' daylights out of me.  After circumnavigating the garage twice, it came to rest on top of a tall shelf, and I was able to see it was a female cardinal.

I stopped and started the door a dozen times, which got her flying, but she always flew around near the ceiling, too high to get out the door.  My partner came to help, clapping her hands and woo-hooing to get the bird to move, and I waved a broom around when she was in flight, hoping to shoo her out the door, but she was always too high.

We tried closing the big door and opening the man-door that opens into the back yard, but she never went near that one.  We finally gave up, shutting the doors and wishing her a good night.

This morning I went to see how our house guest had fared.  When I opened the big garage door, she took off flying high again, but now she was bouncing her head repeatedly on the ceiling, which I took as a clear sign of desperation.  It was starting to get light out, so I just left the door open and turned off the lights in the garage, hoping she'd be able to see where the outdoors was.  When I went back to check ten minutes later, she had made her escape.

Bless her little heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment