Friday, March 1, 2019

I'm Gonna Sit Right Down and Write Myself a Letter

I heard in a television commercial the other day that Americans move a lot, and, on average, we will live in 11 homes in our lifetimes.

I got to wondering how many places I’ve lived and was on the verge of starting to make a list when it occurred to me that I already had one in my Personal Book of Lists. It is not a book at all, of course, but a Word document wherein I list all kinds of things about myself, like all the schools I went to, all the jobs I’ve had, and so on. (I’ve mentioned it before – see “No Phone” of January 4, 2015.)

The list entitled “Addresses I Have Had” includes every address that I have used in order to allow the U.S. Postal Service to deliver mail to me. The entries there total 18, which is way above the average of 11, but not all of them should count.

If a home is a more or less permanent(ish) dwelling where you plan to live and in which you are surrounded by all your stuff, then the three dormitories on the list have to go.

From the remaining 15, I really should take off my brother’s address since I lived with him and his family only occasionally when I was in between other places, and also the address of the friend I lived with in New Orleans for three months.

Now, that’s 13, but one of the addresses in the list is my post office box which can’t count either because I have never lived in it, with or without all my stuff.

So, that leaves me with having lived in 12 homes in my lifetime, which is still over the average. I am sure, however, that there is one person out there somewhere who has lived in only 10 places, and that will balance out the numbers just right.

No comments:

Post a Comment