Monday, September 2, 2013

Where are our manners?

I admit I'm short, but I am also wide, and there's no way you're going to miss me coming.

So, how is it that when I go into a grocery store, I am suddenly invisible? People come within an inch of mowing me down with their shopping carts. They cut me off. They rush around to get in front of me and then come to a screeching halt, blocking my path. When they're standing still talking on their cell phones, it's right in front of the shelf that contains what I'm looking for.

My all-time favorite maneuver, however, is performed by the young mother of two who is carrying one kid in her arms and dragging the other by the hand. When she comes into the store, she pulls a cart from the line and then stands right there, blocking everybody else's access to the carts, while she attempts to put the kid with the flailing rubber legs into the cart's seat and then hoist the other kid into the basket.

She has just carried and dragged those two kids all the way from the parking lot -- can't she take a cart and then walk another ten feet to get out of the way before she loads them into the basket? Well? Can't she?

Grocery shoppers act like they are the only person in the store.  And I always wish I actually was.

No comments:

Post a Comment