Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Y E, L L, Everybody YELL!

Speaking of basketball, ever notice that at the college-level, the only people actually chanting cheers are the cheerleaders?  Spectators don't, except at Michigan State home games when the fans on opposite sides of the arena do their contrapuntal "Go Green! - Go White!" thing.  And I think the fans sometimes start that themselves.

And speaking of cheerleaders, I have never forgotten a cheer I heard when I was in junior high, in a game played by my eighth-trade team.  During a time-out, the cheerleaders from the opposing school went out on the floor and led their fans (all 12 of them) in a cheer that went:

F!  I!  G-H-T!
F!  I!  G-H-T!
F!  I!  G-H-T!
WIN!

For over 50 years now I've been wondering, why "win"?  Why not
"F I G H T - Fight!"?

No answer.

No comments:

Post a Comment