Monday, March 25, 2013

Leaping Hoops

March Madness is upon me.  By the time the NCAA men's and women's champions have been crowned, I will have seen enough basketball games to last me until next November.

However, I have done some serious watching and comparing to determine just what it is that separates the girls from the boys.  One does, after all, perceive a distinct difference in the movements of the players around the court, even though the women run and dribble and pass the ball and make baskets basically the same way as the men.  The women's game just has a different look, and I've finally figured out what it is:  the women don't jump.

Or at least, not very high.  Even in the performance of a so-called jump shot, the separation between floor and sole of sneaker is tiny for most female players.  And when there is the spectacle of three or four players vying for a rebound under the basket, the women look pretty much like a bunch of young girls at a birthday party jumping up and down in excitement.

I didn't say they can't jump, just that they don't.  If I was a coach who wanted to give my team an advantage, I'd be working on that.

No comments:

Post a Comment