Tuesday, January 15, 2013

You can say that again

There are countless lists of Top Ten Movie Quotes on the Internet.  Some lines are so tirelessly quoted that you can't help but recognize them, such as, "Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn." 

Sometimes the quotes can stand alone, providing insight into some universal truth, but sometimes they have significance only for people who have seen the movie.  One such that I see often is, "You talkin' to me?" Because I haven't seen the movie in which that line is spoken, I don't understand why it would be anybody's favorite.

So, if I was going to provide a list of my own Top Ten Movie Quotes, which I am, some of them will be lost on people who haven't seen the movies in question.  But you know what?  It's my party.

My Top Ten favorite lines from some of my favorite movies:

10. "Not only am I ain't buildin' no 'shapel', I'm takin' off!" (Sidney Poitier to Lilia Skala, "Lillies of the Field," 1963)

9. "He was only a clerk in a hardware store, but he was an absolute rat." (Ruth Hussey, "The Philadelphia Story," 1940)

8. "Ring out the old year, ring in the new, ring-a-ding-ding." (Shirley MacLaine, "The Apartment," 1960)

7. "Whuddaya think I am, a mess?" (Morgan Freeman to Jessica Tandy, "Driving Miss Daisy," 1989)

6. "How many o' them hormones you takin', honey?" (Jessica Tandy to Kathy Bates, "Fried Green Tomatoes," 1991)

5. "Nature, Mr. Allnut, is what we are put in this world to rise above." (Katharine Hepburn to Humphrey Bogart, "The African Queen," 1951)

4. "You ever hear Dad introduce us to people? 'This is our daughter Dottie, and this is our other daughter -- Dottie's sister.' Should've just had you and bought a dog!" (Lori Petty to Gena Davis, "A League of Their Own," 1991)

3. "Attagirl, Sherlock. I'll betcha you could put two and two together and get something out of it." (Ann Miller to Ginger Rogers, "Stage Door," 1937)

2. "Well, we're not in the middle of nowhere, but we can see it from here." (Gena Davis, "Thelma and Louise," 1991)

1. "Not much meat on her, but what's there is cherce." (Spencer Tracy about Katharine Hepburn, "Pat and Mike," 1952)

No comments:

Post a Comment