Wednesday, January 2, 2013

I wish I hadn't

The other day when writing about the vanishing cocktail lounge, I noted a drink that Lesley M. M. Blume had talked about called the Godmother.  It is to be imbibed with a list of wishes one hopes will be granted.  It's a simple recipe -- equal parts of vodka and amaretto stirred (not shaken) with ice.  I decided to try it last night.

Vodka is never a problem at my house, but the amaretto was.  First I had to dig it out from the back of the liquor cabinet.  The dust on the bottle indicated how long it had sat there unused.  After wiping it down, I found I couldn't unscrew the cap.  I ended up running hot water over the neck of the bottle until it would finally budge.  That should have been a hint.

I poured an ounce of each over ice, stirred conscientiously, strained the result into one of my small, round, old-fashioned champagne glasses, and took a sip.  And about gagged.  It was so sweet I could feel my teeth rotting.  Did I say sweet?  A dash of lemon juice took the edge off and I was able to choke it down, but I won't be doing that again.

I hope my fairy godmother grants my wish -- never to have to drink anything like that again.

No comments:

Post a Comment