Friday, April 13, 2012

Calling on the 13th

Yes, it is Friday the 13th.  I am not worried.  I've lived through my share of them, and so far nothing bad has happened to me.  Of course, I might be tempting fate with that statement, but, as I always say, if you take care not to walk under any black cats, you should be fine.  I also recall the wisdom of a blackjack dealer who once told me it was bad luck to be superstitious.

Therefore, on to my original choice of topic for today, which is the expression, "Call, write or phone."  Businesses still do say that nowadays:  For more information, call write or phone XYZ Company.  I said it myself this morning in an email, and I realized how woefully out of date that is.

Of course, back in the day, "to call" meant to go there.  You called upon someone, you made calls, by going to see them in person.  Later it was possible to talk to someone by telephone instead of going there, which was making calls by telephone, which became known as telephone calls.  I think most people, especially young people, consider calling and phoning the same thing.

I remember stores and restaurants with small signs on the door as you went out that said, "Thank You, Call Again."  I wonder if there are any of those left anywhere.

So, anyway, we started out being able to call or write.  Then we could call, write or phone.  And now -- call, write, phone, fax, email, text, or tweet.  Cripes.

No comments:

Post a Comment