Sunday, September 4, 2011

One of my best bright ideas

One night last week my partner, who is currently avoiding red meat, was in the mood for a burger and, knowing there was a box of veggie burgers in the freezer, asked me to prepare one for her.  I was happy to oblige, but I wanted the real thing for myself, so I thawed out some ground chuck I had in the freezer. Since I only wanted one hamburger, what was I to do with the rest of that pound and a half of meat?

Well, I decided to make six patties and grill them all on the George Foreman, but I only grilled one to medium doneness -- the other five I left on only for three minutes so that they were rare. When cool, I stuck them in individual plastic bags and threw them in the freezer.

As you probably know, warming up leftover hamburger patties in the microwave turns them into hockey pucks, but these didn't turn out that way because they weren't well done to start with. For lunch yesterday I nuked one of those frozen patties for 60 seconds, and it came out hot and juicy and pink in the middle and tasted like it had just been freshly grilled.

Am I pleased with myself, you ask.  Yes.

Change of Subject

On a personal note -- I realize there has been a paucity of postings here the last week or so, and that's because both my partner and my dog have been ill.  Being general caregiver has taken a lot of my energy, physical, mental, and emotional.  I plan to have my loved ones healthy again very soon, and then I'll get right back to writing about ... whatever.

No comments:

Post a Comment